Sunday, August 06, 2006

splits by abby

i didn't get back from camping in time to do much of anything besides take a nap and shower before i had to go to a dinner, so i had yesterday as an off day.

in terms of bootcamp, my sides and lower abs are a little bit sore, but the rest of me has been fine. so it's possible my core is in decent shape after all, or else my muscles just remember how to recover from that kind of workout, which is probably the truer option. so next time, i'll push myself more.

so, okay. 8 miles. definitely longer than 7. i was on the road by about 6:45am.

somehow, i remembered to dig my watch out of my gym bag so i could clock my splits today. i have to admit that i don't know *exactly* where each mile ends/begins, but i would say i know within .05 miles, which is pretty close. so some of these could be .95, while others might be 1.05. anyway, my total time was 1:20:10, and it breaks out like this:

1 -- 9:37
2 -- 9:54
3 -- 9:43
4 -- 10:06
5 --10:32
6 -- 9:51
7 -- 10:51
8 -- 9:37

since i ran a 4-mile out-and-back, miles 1 and 8 are the same mile, as are 2 and 7, 3 and 6 and 4 and 5. obviously the terrain's slightly different since i go down hills i came up, and vice versa. it's interesting to me to compare them. for 1 and 8 -- wow, dead-on the same. for 2 an 7, nearly a whole minute's difference. i know that in mile 7 i was having a hard time with my hip, and i know i was freaking about that. for 3 and 6, only a few seconds' difference. for 4 and 5 (which include the longest hills of this run), about 30 seconds' difference and my shorts were falling off in mile 5, so i had to stop and untie and then retie a stupidly-complicated knot, so that's probably where that 30 seconds went.

it's good that i started and finished in the same time, although i know i upped my pace over that last 1/2, and that was easy to do, which, according to all of my coaches over time, means i didn't "leave it all on the course." according to them, if you are able to kick up your pace noticeably in your last mile, then you didn't run your best race. whatevs. i've always liked having a little bit left; it makes the finish more enjoyable.

i ended with some good stretching. i got my hip to pop and hopefully that's taken care of whatever the issue was today. the good news is that just the joint bothered me. soft tissue and muscles felt fine. i know i'll continue to have this discomfort occasionally, but i sure wish it would just stay in the socket where it belongs. it's probably worth another trip to the chiropractor, just to be safe. which i've sort of been avoiding, because i think there is a bigger stability issue at stake and i'm sort of afraid of finding out what that means ....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home