Friday, August 18, 2006

double digits! - gerlinda

i was at band practice last night, in a totally foul mood, a) because i haven't been practicing and so i sucked at practice and i don't feel ready for tonight's show b) because i knew i was planning to run 10 miles in the morning!

abby - do you stress out about the long runs? i totally do. especially after tuesday's crappy run, i was getting tense whenever thoughts of "the big run" crossed my mind. that + being tense about the show made for a very grouchy gerlinda at band practice last night. i guess i build things up in my mind (dreading them) and the only thing that helps is to just force myself to get them over with.

so, that said, i forced myself out of bed at 5am to do my run today - and it was fine. the 1st & last 2 miles were through the ghetto (it's probably not smart of me at all, to run alone through these neighborhoods. then again, i felt like i had no choice.) The 3rd & 8th miles were through the upperclass ghetto (ie: $300,000 "shacks" in a trendy part of town.) the middle miles 4-7 were on the freedom parkway trail, where i've run many times before. i felt good. i took it easy. i walked the worst of the hills and took brief little walks whenever i drank my gatorade. i finished in 1:53:28, so my pace was 11:35. i feel pretty confident i ran 10 full miles. it may have actually been a couple 10ths more.

i switched my long run to today b/c i'm going to the mountains this weekend with friends and couldn't stand the thought of "the big run" hanging over my head the whole time. (yet another thing i was tense about - squashing so much stuff into a small stretch of time.)

anyway, i feel really, really good that i forced myself up and out this morning. my body also feels pretty good post-run. i'm slightly sore, in a way that feels really good; i have a blister on the back of my left foot (i think a piece of muck from the trail got inside my sock,) and the ball of my right foot kind of hurts (this has been an ongoing, but not yet debilitating, thing that also stresses me out - kind of like your hip, abby.)

so - onward & upward. in the spirit of resting up, i didn't do jack on wed. or thurs (unless you count walking the dog.) tomorrow, we're planning a hike. it'll probably be several miles of fairly moderate east-coast, forrested, terrain. sunday, i guess i'll try to do the 5 miles i skipped on thursday. Next week is my last full training week before the 1/2 marathon! i plan to try 11-12 miles next weekend...but i haven't made myself any promises. my training schedule recommends a 10 mile run as the longest one before the half... i dunno. i guess i'll wing it, like i've been doing all along!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home