Saturday, December 30, 2006

8º, 8mi -- by abby

i was going to start this post by saying hurrah! and three cheers! for the last long(ish) cold run of the year. because it was freezing! but i felt great anyway. and, in truth, it will be the last long(ish) cold run of 2006. but also in truth, i plan to continue running and keeping up a 10 mile long run base after the marathon, so 2007 will likely see many more freezing-cold, icy-eyelash, slippery-road runs ........

anyway! the race is one week away. i'm nervous and anxious and exciting and freaked and worried and thrilled all at once, and i am trying to channel all of that into a nice positive vibe that i hope stays with me until the race is over, and that i hope other runners will pick up on too.

regardless of all that though, i have gobs and gobs of anxiety! i started worrying about my shoes on wednesday, about a month too late. so, i'm committed to the asics gt 2110 that have seen me through the last 3 months of training. they'll be fine, i'm sure, and i'm not going to worry about that anymore. so just when i get over the shoe thing, i start worrying about my shorts. i have like one pair of shorts that i like ... and i've been running in tights since october, so i only ever wear the shorts when i run on the treadmill, really. so i freaked out and ordered another couple of pairs to try out this week. probably i'll stick with the shorts i already have. they have two side pockets and a small pocket in the back, so i could carry a few things. but we'll see.

i'm not as worried about the shirt -- that'll be fine, i think. socks? i'd like to carry and extra pair to change out at the 18 or 20 mile mark, but that got me worried about some kind of belt pack to carry. and plus, the weather? i keep hoping that training at altitude will offset any negative effects of humidity and heat. i hope i don't melt into a puddle like the wicked witch of the west. arrrrgh!! all these little details just creep up on you in these last few days. so i decided to take today off from worrying.

instead, i started trying to be proactive and think of all the things i need to remember not to forget -- like my form i need to pick up my packet, and some gels, and maybe some clif bloks, and a few extra second skin things for my foot. and to pack my running gear and shoes in my carry-on so in case i lose my baggage i can still run. and stuff like that. i'm going to take a good couple of looks at the marathon course and try to remember where there's first aid and where there's fuel and where i can station people to cheer us on.

and other than that i'm going to enjoy an easy week of easy runs. i'm going to remind myself to go out easy at the race ... it's not really a race, after all. to go out easy and relaxed and comfortable, and to not push myself at all for the first 20 or 22 miles, because i will be pushing myself a lot for the last 4 or 5 miles. to respect the distance. to not have any expectations other than finishing feeling decent, and to remember all the people who've helped me raise over $1,000 for PanCAN -- which is way more than i would ever have been able to give on my own -- and gerlinda for being an inspiration, and my family and friends who have helped me
during these last 6 months or so by riding SAG or picking me up down the road or making sure i eat right or just telling me i'm doing a good job .... amen.

and happy new year!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home