Tuesday, December 26, 2006

christmas run

well - i feel much better about things this week.

i ran pretty consistantly (if lightly) all week, thanks to having to get up anyway for crossfit. i ran 2 on monday, 3 on tuesday, and 2 on thursday - all at the gym, squeezing in runs during lunch breaks or after crossfit/before work. friday, a work emergency that turned out to be nothing left me with a free and unanticipated hour of daylight. i grabbed the chance and set out for my 4.5 mile loop around Grant Park, which i've come to love because its the antithesis of running the Silver Comet Trail. it's very hilly and urban, whereas the SCT is flat and rustic. they both have their charm!

anyway, i felt good about myself for making good use of my free time (rather than wrapping gifts, or housecleaning, or any of the other 10,000 things i also needed to do.) feeling good about myself bubbled over into motivation for my christmas eve long run. i have no idea of far our schedule said to go, but i set out to do 16 miles, and that's what i did.

i just really felt like i needed another true "long run" under my belt to prove to myself that i could still handle distance. and for the first time in more than a month, i really felt good. i was able to settle into that space in my mind where i'm drifting and thinking and dreaming and pondering, and not saying to myself every 5 minutes "when will this end?"

i felt great physically - no knee issues or leaden legs. because i was solo, i ran 6 miles out and back, so that i could refill my water bottle at the trailhead fountain. then without really stopping, i headed off for another 2 miles out and back, for 16 miles total. once i hit 14 miles i started to "feel" my quads and calves. i wonder if that's psychological? to start feeling pain when you know you're only a couple miles from the end? i wonder, if at the marathon, i'll be able to stave off noticing my stiffness, etc, until i've hit 20-24 miles?

i guess i'll find out in 2 weeks!
2 WEEKS?!?!?!?!
and speaking of the big event - i've *almost* reached my fundraising goal, but i'm still a couple hundred bucks short. help me out! http://www.firstgiving.com/gerlindagrimes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home