Thursday, June 22, 2006

What In The Hell Are We Doing? An introduction by Gerlinda

OK - so just in case anyone in the world besides abby ever reads this, here's the deal:

I signed up for 2 races - a 1/2 marathon in VA Beach in early September and a full marathon @ Disney World in early January. If you want to know why, go take a look at my fundraising page. Also, to give credit where credit is due, I would've never had the guts to sign up for these races in the first place if it hadn't been for Boot Camp. And, my reasons for joining Boot Camp (which I've done for the past 3 months) are personal.

Abby found out I was running & decided to run the full marathon with me. (and i think she's doing a 1/2 in late january as well.) Since she lives in Bozeman, MT & I live in Atlanta, GA, it's not like we can hook up every Sunday for a long run...so, in lieu of that, Abby suggested we keep a joint blog to record our training and keep each other honest. ("Abby - put down the tequila and get your ass out on the track!" You know - stuff like that)

ANYWAY, so, basically, this blog will be deadly boring and dedicated to our training. Beware.

I'm planning to follow Hal Hidgdon's novice training schedule, at Abby's suggestion. I've combined the 1/2 marathon schedule with the marathon schedule.

Links:
Novice 1/2 Marathon Training Schedule
Novice Marathon Training Schedule
I'm just finishing up boot camp this week, so my running training begins toward the end of week 2 of Hal's 1/2 marathon program.

Today, I'm supposed to do a 3.5m run. I'll probably go to the gym after work & knock it out on the treadmill. Abby is a bit of a jock, and totally fearless. But, this race training stuff feels really bizarre and scary to me. No one is putting a gun to my head - I know. But, trust me, I am not comfortable making these commitments. It feels really, really scary to me. I hope I don't fail. I'm grateful to have Abby watching my back. And my plan is to just shut up and follow the training schedule. All hurdles are mental with me - at least so far.

Gerlinda

PS-I input my training schedule into my Windows Live Mail (the new beta 'hotmail') calendar & set the share options to 'public.' I guess this means you can go find my calendar online if you want...I'm not quite sure how... my user name is gerlindgrimes, so good luck with that

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home